Poverty in India has been cited as one of the main reasons why millions of children do not get access to the rights they are entitled to. India, being home to every sixth child in the world (Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation- MoSPI, 2012).
- 38% (1 in 3)of children between 0-5 years are stunted in the country (NFHS 4, 2015-16)
- 36% of children under 5 years of age are underweight in India (NFHS 4, 2015-16)
- 58% of children between 6months – 5 years were found to be anaemic in the country (NFHS 4, 2015-16)
- Total Immunisation coverage in the country stood at 62% in 2015-16 (NFHS 4, 2015-16)
- 21% of the births in the country were home births (NFHS 4, 2015-16)
- Only 21% of mothers (1 in 5) received full antenatal care in the country (NFHS 4, 2015-16)